Annual Meeting 2019 - Home
Theodore Roosevelt, the Navy and the Rise of the U.S. to World Power
This year’s TRA Gala Dinner and Symposium will be held at Long Island University’s C.W. Post Campus and the Mansion at Glen Cove near Sagamore Hill on October 26th. The overall theme of the event is “Theodore Roosevelt, the Navy and the Rise of the U.S. as a World Power.”
Speakers will discuss the long history of TR and the Navy and how he fundamentally changed this institution into a key element in the rise of the U.S. as a world power and look at the modern Navy, focusing on “Our Ship,” USS Theodore Roosevelt (CVN-71). There will be a world premiere of a new film about Theodore Roosevelt. We’ll have a famous artist and LIU professor who will show many of his original TR portraits and discuss “Theodore Roosevelt in Art”.
At the Gala Dinner our TRA Medal of Honor Awardee and Keynote speaker will be Admiral James G. Stavridis, former Supreme Allied Commander of Europe and one of our most respected military officers. He is one of America’s leading strategist and his keynote address will be both interesting and important.
This promises to be a very exciting event!
- This year’s keynote speaker, Admiral Stavridis, is a most fascinating and entertaining speaker who will tell us some stories about his career and the modern Navy. He is a great fan of TR, both the ship and the man and how together they have helped mold the Navy, naval strategy, and U.S. foreign policy.
- The Symposium will include lively speakers on TR and the Navy, as well as a famous artist who will exhibit his works on TR and discuss “TR and Art”. The world premiere movie promises to be a unique event. Finally, we will have a perennial favorite, speeches by the first place high school winners of the Theodore Roosevelt Public Speaking Contest.
- You will have a chance to meet the Commanding Officer of the USS Theodore Roosevelt (CVN-71), which will soon be deployed. He will bring with him this year’s winner of the Junior Officer Leadership Award, the highly coveted honor given each year in the name of the TRA. You also may meet some dependents of crewmembers, recipients of this year’s TRA college scholarship program.
- You will meet the new Commandant of the National War College, located in Roosevelt Hall at Fort Lesley J. McNair in Washington, DC, who will bring this year’s recipient of the NWC’s Theodore Roosevelt Award sponsored by the TRA, given to most outstanding student in the class.
- We will honor this year’s awardee of the coveted Rose Award, occasionally given to a member of the Association who has made substantial contributions to our success.
- We will hear about the progress made at the Theodore Roosevelt Institute at LIU. President Kimberly Cline will say a few words about what is going on at the TR Institute and what the future holds.
- There will be a silent auction with all types of unusual offerings and a live auction with some extra-special unique items.
- Each attendee will receive a special gift, a unique TR collectible available only at the event. Executive attendees will receive an additional unique TR collectible, as well as an opportunity to personally meet with Admiral Stavridis at a special reception.